Fighting Cancer in November
Raise Awareness for Lung and Pancreatic Cancers
November 1, 2011 | Heather Burchfield
November is a special month for us to be thankful for our neighbors, family and friends. It is also a time to raise awareness for lung and pancreatic cancers. These cancer types rank in the top five for causing the most cancer-related deaths. Lung cancer being number one and pancreatic cancer ranking number 4 according to the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.
In order to help raise awareness, informative videos will be posted to the Web site and feature Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center physicians and staff. More research is crucial to improve as well as find better treatment options for these two cancers that tend to be caught at a late stage. Events are also scheduled throughout the month, and we hope that you will join us in raising awareness for lung cancer and pancreatic cancer. Here are ways for you to get involved:
- Paint Nashville Purple to kick off pancreatic cancer awareness month tonight at the Roundabout on Demonbreun and hear the Cancer Center’s Dr. Jordan Berlin speak.
- Metro Nashville Council and State of Tennessee announces November as Tennessee Lung Cancer Awareness month at tonight’s meeting.
- Join us on Nov. 2 at 10 a.m. for “Wellness Wednesday” as Karen Dyer, exercise physiologist, discusses Gentle Movement Exercise and Rehabilitation. This FREE educational series is for those currently undergoing treatment as well as those who have finished, and it does not matter where you received your treatment. Everyone who has been touched by cancer is welcome.
- Walk with us by joining our team for the LUNGevity Foundation’s Breathe Deep 5K at Centennial Park on Nov. 5.
- Celebrate with us on Nov. 5 from 6-8 p.m. for the Breathe Hope: Celebrating Lung Cancer Survivors and their Caregivers, a free educational event for lung cancer survivors (on-therapy or post-treatment) and their caregivers. You will learn about advancements in lung cancer research and clinical care from Vanderbilt-Ingram experts as well as enjoy hors d’oeuvres, desserts and cocktails. Please RSVP if you would like to attend.